Monday, July 8, 2013

Dear Everyone,
It's been quite a week! I forgot my journal today so hopefully I can remember everything :/
-Frank: Oh Frank. He had such a great lesson with him on Wednesday talking about the Book of Mormon and baptism. He agreed to be baptized, which was awesome. But then he started talking about that HIS preacher needed to be the one to do it. We tried to explain the whole priesthood authority thing, but he wasn't having it. But it was a great lesson, nonetheless. We set up a return appointment for the following Wednesday. But on Friday, Frank texted us and told us he wasn't interested in the church anymore. He said that it doesn't matter if the Book of Mormon is true or not because the Bible is the only thing that matters. He also said he didn't want to betray his pastor because he has been a good friend to him for the past three months. We responded that we were sad we wouldn't meet with him anymore, but there we were still here if he has any questions. He responded with "The real tragedy is that we can't all worship the same God in the same way." So...we are pretty sure he got antied by his pastor. It was heartbreaking! I really love Frank. He is such a humble, down to earth guy. It just kills me that he was so close to the truth and he is shoving it away.
-We met President Eaton on Wednesday! Let me tell you, he is incredible. Absolutely incredible. I cannot wait to work with him! He is so kind, so approachable, and so knowledgeable. I can already tell that he cares so much about us and about the people here. I feel so blessed to have him as my mission president.
-Mikayla and Joel--we met this family about three weeks ago when we were tracting. Mikayla was busy with her kids so she told us to come back. We came back, and this time her husband Joel was there. We talked to him for a bit about the Book of Mormon and the Restoration. He was raised Jehovah's Witness (or J-Dub, like we like to call them) but was disfellowshipped at age fifteen. He really agreed with everything we were telling him. We then came back again on Friday, and this time Mikayla was just there. She told us a little bit more about her family: Joel has PTSD from fighting in Iraq and really struggles mentally. It is really hard for him to get out of the house, and he has been spending time in a rehab type place. Their oldest daughter Hailey has cebral palsy and behavioral disorders. They are really going through a rough time in their lives. But they are SO ready for this gospel. As we testified of the truth of the Gospel, the Spirit just filled the house. Sister Hehl did most of the teaching for that lesson while I kept the kids distracted. Two girls ages 8 and 5, and a little boy age 3. Next time I am bringing more stuff to keep them entertained. :) But I am just so excited about this family. I cannot even express it. Mikayla agreed to be baptized in September, but we are hoping she decides on sooner. Who knows.
-This transfer apparently is only going to be a five week transfer! Crazy. So that means we only have two full weeks left-this week and next. Apparently a lot of sisters are coming in again, so chances are I will probably be training again. There are also rumors of them calling more Sister Trainer Leaders. Elder Mckendrick and Grandstaff were telling us about that and I just scoffed and said, "Well, at least we don't have to worry about that! We are too new!" Elder Mckendrick said that I shouldn't be so sure about that, a couple of sisters have been called after only being out two transfers. Oh man...
-I love this ward. So much. Our bishop is incredible, and so motivated with missionary work. Also, we have found a lot of couples who are so willing to help us out. One of those couples is Lindsay and Seth Gonzales! I don't know if Scott Holt gets these emails, but let him know that I met them. Seth and Scott were good friends apparently. Oh! The Wilkinsons are related to Rhonda Robertson! Sister Wilkinson and Rhonda are cousins. The church is a really small world.
-We visited Julie and Ray this week, the lady who invited us to her house for a BBQ on the 4th. We went over but she was having a rough day. Her grandson just had surgery and she was taking care of him and she was helping her daughter, son-in-law, two grandkids, and mother-in-law move out of her house. She was stressed, but she let us in and just talked with us. She showed us around her house and showed us pictures of her family. She said that she really wants us to come back and have dinner with her and her husband. Her husband, Ray, wasn't too nice to us the first time we met them. However, this time he was absolutely wonderful towards us. He said that he didn't like Elders and never would've let them in his house, but we were easier to let in. While he was holding his grandson, he said "See Landon, those are the type of girls you need to marry when you get older. Pure and clean from the world." I started tearing up when he said that. I hope that we can progress in the work with them. I love them so much!
-Yesterday, President Eaton and Elder Call our Area Seventy came to our church block. President Eaton and Elder Call both bore their testimonies. They said something really profound that I want to expound upon:
President Eaton's dad is in our ward. He mentioned this, and talked about how his dad used to play the trombone on people's doorsteps on his mission. He then told us that he himself played the accordion on people's doorsteps on HIS mission. He was laughing about "father-like-son." After President finished his remarks, Elder Call said, "It is funny how the Lord uses different instruments to get His work done." I started thinking about that. We are all the Lord's instruments, and we all have something unique about us. Too often I find myself comparing myself to other missionaries and their successes. "Why can't I have a testimony like ____?" "I wish I was as good with people as ____." "I need to be more bold like _____." But that's not who I am. I am me, and always will be. There is something unique I have that I can share. I may not be as elegant as a flute or as soulful as a violin, but I've got something to share, and so does everyone else.
Missionary work is wonderful, exhausting, hard, amazing--everything! 6:30-10:30 days can be really hard. But you know what? It is worth it.
I love you all! Hurrah for Israel!
Love, Sister Morrow
Service! We helped with someone's roof. Don't know if that was quite handbook approved....


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment